Wednesday, January 1, 2014

time to upgrade?

When I think about upgrading, I think about my iphone, technology, maybe my car or my house, but I don't typically think about myself or my relationships. In a conversation the other night with my close friend Heather Rivera, she told me about something God had been speaking to her and her husband. She spoke about the need for upgrading; spiritually, relationally, & personally. It really stuck with me because I've never given that idea much thought in regards to those areas. She said when God allows trials in our lives, it may be because He knows it's time for us to upgrade in our relationship with Him or others. Time to take the next step and grow a little more. I think most of us would agree real growth happens when our ideals or foundations are stirred & shaken a bit,or maybe when our faith is tested, because these are the times we find out what we're made of. Maybe as we are figuring it out and our true colors are exposed for all to see, we realize it just might be time to grow and step forward. Forward in our faith & our character. It may be time to dump some of the worldly things we've held tightly for far too long.
So as I look forward to this year I was wondering how can I upgrade in my own life. MANY things came to mind. Some I was thinking of for others, some for myself, & so I thought I'd share, just in case you have been giving this some thought too. (A few of the things I took from an article I was reading and they are marked *.)
 
1. Give God the first few minutes of your day. Test Him in this and see how it impacts your daily life.
2. Get out of debt. YES, YOU CAN!! It's possible, you just need a plan, a budget, and some accountability.
3. Give up your ideals and make real goals that are achievable on a daily, weekly, monthly, and annual basis. Every author I know who talks about success says goals MUST be written down. so give it a try. start with a week and then go from there.
4. dream and let it guide you to new possibilities for your life.
5. try writing letters to people. tell them how much you appreciate them. write thank you notes. have more face to face contact. Connect.
*6. cut bad people out of your life. these are the people that are always taking from you, whether emotionally or physically. you deserve reciprocity. every person around you is someone that you chose to keep around in your life, and it will always be your decision to keep them away.
*7. stop caring about what other people think.
      "your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. don't be trapped by dogma - which is living witht the results of other people's thinking. don't let the noise of other's opinions drown out your own inner voice. and most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. they somehow already know what you truly want to become. everything else is secondary." steve jobs
8. look to bless someone every day either in word or deed. it doesn't take that much to give a little, but it will reap in huge ways in your life.
*9. stay off your phone in the company of others. if you can't appreciate the time you are spending with that person, re-evaluate if that person is even worth your time
10. try 5 new foods. our pallet changes over time and you may find that you suddenly like asparagus (like me:)

Remember that we are all on a road that's leading somewhere. If you do not know your destination, how will you know you're going the right way? Figure out what you're moving toward so that you're free to embrace what really matters, the journey itself (the success journey).
HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!

3 comments:

Dionna said...

I love this way of looking at it. "Upgrading." Definitely something we all can use in our spiritual life - for otherwise we are standing on the same ground all the time.

Ben Jennings said...

Love your blog post- especially the part about putting cell phones down. Totally agree.

Ben Jennings said...

I'm blogging this year too at benjennings.org

new perspective

If you’ve ever been betrayed by, gossiped about, or bullied by another woman or friend, then I think you’ll easily relate with what I wan...